Kryptos creator James Sanborn suggested we forensically examine his original charts for clues.  We’ve all noticed the arrows.  I tried a different tactic by checking the plaintext and ciphertext for clues or deviations.

I found 6 plus the fact that he didn’t originally include the misspellings.

  1. We have a J on line 1 that was originally on line 2.  I think he moved it to fit all of K1 on the first 2 rows.
  2. We have a T on line 5 that was originally on line 4.
  3. We have a QZ on line 6 that was originally on line 5.
  4. We have a Y on line 7 that was originally on line 6.
  5. We have an H on line 8 that was originally on line 7
  6. We have an E on line 9 that was originally on line 8.

Looks like he did want to originally use a line length of 31 to match the vigenere tableau and it looks like he originally wanted K1 on the first 2 lines and K2 on the next 6.  It looks like he forgot the C in magnetic and that changed the orientation of K2 to extend one letter onto Row 9.

I’m not quite sure this is the clue he had in mind.

Maybe there’s something else we can pull out of it…

Kryptosfan

Advertisements